All of us at Duri would like to wish you a happy and safe 4th of July! There is no doubt that the Declaration of US Independence from Great Britain in 1776 marked one of the most significant historical events in human history. It shouted to the world that all humans are entitled to “Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.” That alone is reason to celebrate!
Here are some Independence Day Fun Facts to Amaze Your Family and Friends:
- The first Independence Day celebration took place July 8, 1776, in Philadelphia. Citizens were summoned by the Liberty Bell for a public reading of the Declaration of Independence, then the good folks of Philly got the party started!
- In 1776 the US population totaled about 2.5 million, compared to more than 326 million today.
- The 4th has always been a drinking holiday. In 1777, George Washington issued double rations of rum to his soldiers to celebrate. In 2017, 240 years later, it is estimated that beer sales alone will exceed $1 Billion.
- The only two signers of the Declaration of Independence to become President were John Adams (2nd) and Thomas Jefferson (3rd). Both died on the 50th anniversary of Independence Day, July 4, 1826, within hours of one another.
- Thomas Jefferson was only 33 years old when he authored the Declaration of Independence.
- Most of the flags and fireworks used to celebrate US independence are imported from China, at a cost of more than $1 Billion.
- The largest fireworks display in the country will take place in NYC, on the East River.
So how will you celebrate?
On July 4th, no matter where you go, you will find events, activities and parties. From the largest urban centers to the tiniest towns, parades, fireworks and plenty of food will mark our nation’s birthday.
Whether you dress to the nines in star-spangled glory, or tone it down to jeans and a tank top, you will want to look fabulous as you mingle with your fellow Americans. From makeup to hair dyes to outrageous costumes, there are unlimited options for flaunting patriotic fashion.
Nail art is perhaps one of the biggest beauty and fashion trends for Independence Day. A quick search on Pinterest will yield dozens of ideas for rocking your Red White and Blue!